Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Veni. Vidi. Vici.

I come, I see, I conquer. Those were the exact words of Napoleon...
Months ago when I was seriously considering to take the step of faith for this trip, it really gave me goosebumps thinking about it. It still does.

Having to go through the journey to the summit via Mesilau trail, it was really a time of testing my patience. Why Mesilau? Well according to CS, Mesilau is for Heroes and Timpohon are for Sissys...and I got up that trail, as a hero. Sweet. The 10 hour climb up 8.5km was long and painful, especially at the beginning i already have difficulty breathing and it was really painful literally. All through the journey I have this walking stick with me, which reminds me of 'Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me'. Indeed, times where I really couldnt go on anymore, I recited Psalms 23 to keep me going.

And finally, up to Laban Rata, just in time for dinner before it closes. That night was a cold and stressful night as everyone is trying hard to sleep in for the 2am climb to the summit. I made it up despite having the guide advising me not to. I felt ok that morning but once I started a 10min climb, I felt that I started to regret. But I wanted to keep going so much. Weather was exceptionally good that day and I knew, I could make it further. Steps after steps gets harder especially passed 7.5km...where breathing really gets tougher for me.

Looking at Low's peak, I eventually made a stop at 8.4km, a mere 300m away from the peak. Watching most of them striving hard towards the peak, I stood, sat, lied down and took my rest to regain breath and energy that I much needed. The sky's already fully bright now though it was only a quarter past 6am. It was truly splendid up there, with the breathtaking views and scenic shots I managed to capture. I'm above the clouds! And once again, I'm marveled at His creation. So beautiful!

The journey downhill after breakfast from Laban Rata was...unexpected. It rained through the 5 hours and I was cold, feet soaked wet, hungry and alone. Worse still, I only had my bottle with me without any energy bar, and I was so hungry and strengthless. All I could do was keep going, faster and faster, to get something to eat when I got down to the Kinabalu park. To come to think of it, it was quite scary to have climbed down all by myself. But I was shown mercy, and experienced grace like never before.

Mt Kinabalu, 21-22 Aug 2010. My first encounter in the west tip of Borneo. I will be back.

0 CANDLELIGHTS: